Sunday, May 5, 2013

Jack in the Box Raises My Blood Pressure for the Wrong Reasons



I had to talk about this commercial because I hate it so much. I'm almost driven to tears of anger every time it comes up on Hulu because it is so unbelievably stupid. Not a lot of things offend me, but this commercial does. I feel like there are a lot of stereotypes about young people and how ridiculous the newer generations have become because of social media, and I feel this ad back such claims up. It features a clueless young woman who is constantly distracted by social media and who can barely function in the workplace. The tanning bed comment at the end is the one of the dumbest things I've heard, and I certainly does not appeal to my sense of humor. 

I'm sure that the marketing team at The Box knew that the commercial would annoy some people, and I'm sure they were fine with that. As we have discussed in class, marketing teams are willing to do anything to stand out in the crowd of advertisement, and this ad does that. It stands out to me, at least, because it's so darn infuriating. If nothing else, the commercial did a very fine job of attracting my very negative attention.

One of the things that stood out the most to me was the diction created for the ad. Words such as "chipoltcray" and "crazeamaze" will forever be burned into my memory. I hate them, but I'll remember them. The time the intern spent talking about the burger's components is the real substance behind the commercial  because it's the only part that focuses on the actual product being sold. The ad features very quick camera editing and very fast talking, so it kept my attention by jumping from one thing to another.

The advertisement employs the "Wit and Humor" technique. It attempts to, at least. I believe that by making everything happen in such quick succession, the commercial attempts to throw a lot of stuff at the audience and hope that something makes them laugh. I believe the main appeal used in the commercial is physiological need, because the sandwich looks pretty appealing. The cheese is perfectly melted, the bacon is totally uniform, and the tomatoes have a sprinkling of water on them, which means they have to be fresh. Now, I highly doubt that an actual chipotle chicken club combo would look anything like that, but the commercial makes it look pretty darn good. 

Overall, I thought the commercial was incredibly annoying, but it affected me enough to watch it roughly ten thousand times in order to analyze it, and that's more than I can say about all the other commercials I watch. Sure, the ad makes the sandwich look appealing, but it's covered in so many layers of annoying stereotypes that I would never step foot into a Jack in the Box unless my life depended on it. The actress did a fine job of portraying the role, though. 



1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you about this ad being annoying and stereotypical. This ad completely ignores the fact that there are a ton of young people who would become an intern and have a level of competence that is not shown through this ad. I understand that Jack in the Box wants to appeal to a younger audience through social media, but this is NOT the way to do it. They almost seem to be purposefully offending the youth. Even a young person who would talk like that wouldn't want to admit it! I agree with you that this ad is offensive.

    ReplyDelete