Sunday, May 19, 2013

Ben and Jerry's Can Rewrite History


I saw this ad in a Bon Appetit magazine. The ad caught my attention because the main visual spread stands out so much against the plain white background. It appeals to the need to satisfy curiosity because of all the little details in the advertisement. Not only does it stand out and feature a strange concept, but the closer you look, the more you find. At first glance, I missed the little men pushing the bowls of yogurt into the Trojan Cow, and I didn't notice all the little details that are included inside the cup of Ben and Jerry's. I appreciate the ad based on those aspects alone.

The ad isn't just about the picture, however. On the bottom is a short paragraph that uses the ad technique of "wit and humor." It plays out a situation where instead of a Trojan Horse filled with soldiers, the Greeks gift the city of Troy a cow that is filled with delicious Greek yogurt. It's a silly idea, and the text features a lighthearted tone that I cannot replicate, which is why I don't work for Ben and Jerry's marketing team. 

Another aspect of the wit and humor technique is the last part of the ad. "It's really Greekin' good" stands out on the white background and is a play on words, which is just so funny. Next to the text are pictures of the actual product, which is the new frozen yogurt. This appeals to physiological needs. I know that Ben and Jerry's doesn't stick out of the container in such a perfect sphere shape, but it looks good enough that I want to believe.  

I liked this ad because I thought it was cute. The use of glittering generalities implies that this frozen yogurt is good enough to stop a war, which is a silly idea, and I am tempted to buy it just to see. I appreciate the work that appears to have been put into the visuals of the ad, and the wooden cow is cute. That's what I look for in a frozen yogurt ads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment