Sunday, April 28, 2013

These Glasses Are No Fad


I found this ad while looking through an issue of Harper's Bazar. Out of all of the ads in the magazine, this is the one that said the most, which I found surprising, considering it still doesn't say that much. However, the diction that is used is very important to the ad. The name of the company (I think) is Silhouette, which sounds quite refined. The name wouldn't have quite the same effect if it was called "Shape" or "Outline." Directly underneath that it says "Authentic Eyewear. Since 1964." Now, I have no idea what makes eyewear authentic, but when I'm told Silhoutte has it, I want it. And I don't even wear or need glasses. By including the date that they were established, the company also establishes credibility. Or it attempts to establish credibility, at least. Since they've been around for forty nine years, they have to know what they're doing by now, and their product must be reliable. Well played, Silhouette.  

The ad also tries hard to compare its glasses to art, and not very subtly. It calls itself  "minimal art." Is art what you really need in a pair of glasses? Instead of giving any real description of the glasses, the advertisement just throws out words and expects to be believed. On the right it also says the brand is an icon. And even though I've never heard of the brand, I believe that it's an icon because the powerful woman in the center is telling me so. However, some questions are raised. How can a pair of glasses be dynamic? What does that even mean? Maybe that's why they put it in such small print. 

The ad is appealing to one's need for prominence. The woman looks like she could be a powerful businesswoman of some sort, and I'm sure she got there because of her cutting-edge glasses. 
If you wear the glasses, you too could be wearing a blazer in front of a bunch of high-rise buildings. Sweet.


All in all, I think the ad is a little silly. They downplay the glasses so much that at first glance, you could miss the product all together. The glasses blend into the background, so it was necessary they have the pop of red on the ends of the arm-things. However, it kind of looks like it could be an add for anything if you miss the glasses in the corner. I believe they're trying to sell the image more than the glasses themselves. 

P.S. The white splotch is the flash from my camera and is not part of the advertisement. 


No comments:

Post a Comment