Sunday, April 28, 2013

Delta: More than a Shower, Somehow


This shower is more than just a shower. Not only is it a shower, but it can wash your clothes clean off. That's not true, but one of the ad's selling points is that it's more than your average shower. They focus on it being extra special because the center of the shower head comes away from the rest of it. On the top of the ad, it says that the showerheads can be used "together or separately to get water where you need it most." Now, maybe it is because I have never used a Delta shower and I don't know what I'm missing, but I generally don't have an issue with not getting wet enough in a conventional shower. The point of every shower is to get you completely wet, right? The information provided in the ad is not enough to convince me of an integrated showerhead's merits. However, I still find the ad effective. 

I found this ad in an issue of National Geographic. I thought it was very appealing because of the dramatic colors. The colors white from the water and the baby blue from the man's shirt contrast a lot with the black background, which makes it look, for lack of a better word, cool. The simplicity of the colors are what appeal to me most. The red Delta logo stands out against the other colors as well, so it is obvious who the company is. And by making the product stand out against the black background, it's obvious what is being advertised.

 I think the concept of the visuals in general is pretty interesting. The top of the ad says "wash the day away," and there's the man washing away his work shirt. He can relieve the stress of the entire day with an integrated showerhead, something he would not be able to achieve in a normal shower. The ad is saying that the shower won't just get you clean , but that it can relieve stress or worries from the day past. It would be wonderful to think that something as simple as a shower could have the capability to do such a thing, and Delta wants to provide this for people. Their advertisement does, at least. 

Diction also plays an important role in the advertisement concept. Delta has created a new word for the sake of this ad. The revolutionary showerhead is part The In2ition Two-in-One Shower. I think that the 2 in in2ition refers to the 2 in H2O. I mean, I think that's pretty clever, if not a little silly. However, I don't see how intuitive that kind of shower would be. Is it intuitive to use a new showerhead more complicated than the average one?  Delta thinks so! 

I believe this ad appeals to the need to dominate, because it's more than just a shower and its better than other shower designs. By using the shower, you can be better than people using normal showers. Overall, I thought that the ad was pretty effective in making its product seem appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment